Friday, November 26, 2010

Mt. Hiei


Recently we visited Mt. Hiei with my friend Y-san. Hieizan is the tallest mountain in Kyoto. See? Taller than Max.


It was just a typical day. You know, beautiful fall leaves....


Some more steps....


Some more temple loveliness....

Some more bells.

Some more incense...

Some more fun trips on the train...


And some more views of Lake Biwa to feed my obsession...

Ho-hum, you say? Well, there were some new things about this trip.

Like this cable car that took us to the top....


(We didn't get to go offroad, but I guess when you do, the conductor uses this:)

And there was a special trickling sound you can hear, if you put your ear right next to this red arrow.

But overall, just a typical Kyoto sightseeing day....

Wish you were here....

2 comments:

  1. No fair! Why should visiting your blog make me HUNGRY?! I'm trying to lose some wait here!Japan is the place I found to be the best on Earth (at least my experiences with Earth) for "passive dieting". Raw fish and seaweed.....so good and so, well, dietary! And now, for three blogs, starting with the mouth watering French meal you and Darrin had, to the next two haute-cuisine family "bloats", you're just all stuffing it in. And in Japan no less! Maybe soon you'll all go to a Buddist monestary where you have some water and brown rice? Is that too much to ask?

    This is just too much.

    Mike

    PS: What are the addresses of those places? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Beth:

    Plese provide a grade for your and the rest of your family's Japanese at this point in your stay.

    I never got beyond the point of simple instructions to taxi drivers and being able to say "I'm sorry but I don't speak Japanese." One day an old Japnese woman fell down in front of me in the subway station. Instead of saying daijobu desuka I said ogenki desuka. She got mad. Took me a couple of hours to figure out why.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete